The word preposition indicates positioning something before something else. And in English grammar-
A preposition is a word placed or positioned before a noun or a pronoun or noun equivalent to show the relationship between a noun or pronoun and other words in a sentence.
Pronoun এর কাজ হচ্ছে কোন Noun, Pronoun বা এদের সমতুল্য কোন শব্দ(গুচ্ছ) এর সংগে বাক্যের অন্য কোন শব্দের সম্পর্ক নির্ধারণ করা।
The following are the words used as preposition in English-
For, of, on, at, in, to, off, by, up, with, from, into, within, like, until, above, about, against, under, before, after, among, along, across, around, behind, bellow, beneath, beside, between, beyond, down, during, except, inside, near, since, toward, through and upon.
Role or function of preposition in a sentence:
A preposition sits before a noun or a pronoun to show noun’s or pronoun’s relationship to another word in the sentence. Preposition helps to construct a sentence.
– He is looking for papers.
– Rifat lives in Dhaka.
– Place the book on the table.
– I will go there after breakfast.
– Look at the sky clearly.
– You should stand by him.
Prepositions are of five different kinds:
- Simple Preposition such as in, at, by, of, for, on, over, under, up, to, from, out, about, under, with, etc.
– He goes to school.
– Maruf is about seven.
– These people are coming from abroad.
- Double Preposition such as into, onto, within, without, from, among, toward, behind, etc.
– He will be back within three days.
– We cannot do this job without you.
– She is different among the girls.
iii. Compound or Phrasal or Complex Prepositions are made of two or more words. Such as instead of, in front of, in between, out of, in behalf of, in place of, except for, throughout, underneath, on account of, according to, etc.
– Rahat is talking in behalf of his team.
– Musfiq is playing in place of Rasel.
– They carried on rescue mission in spite of bad weather.
– Her GPA is 3.50 out of 4.00
- Participial Preposition.
Present or Past Participles can be used as Prepositions. Such as concerning, regarding, considering, pending, etc.
– What does he know regarding this proposal?
– Considering the quality, the price is not high.
Following are the specific area to use prepositions.
- Preposition of Place, Position and Direction (in, at, on, by, next, to, beside, )
|In the room.
At the window. At the office.
On the table.
Sitting by the woman.
Above the sky.
Go to university.
Fled from home.
Jumped into the well.
- Preposition of time
|At 10 a.m., at dawn, at noon, at night, at an early age.
After 3 O’clock, after his arrival.
Before the 15th July.
By 4 p.m.
During five years. During the whole day/summer, during five years.
From 1st January.
For a week/month.
In June, in 2010, in the morning/evening/afternoon.
Since he comes.
Within three days.
Throughout the year.
iii. Preposition of Reason or Purpose
|For the good of the people, died for the country.
Died from fatigue, suffering from fever/cold.
Died of cancer.
Lost his pen through negligence
Trembles with fear shivers with fever.